Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Dotty Dream and Harvey the Parrot Live

As soon as she saw me, she proceeded to tell me about this dream she had. She was telling me she was all over Florida, walking and walking, and couldn't get home.

By Bob DeMarco

Yesterday I wrote -- Dotty Says, Bobby Bobby Lets Get the Hell Out of Here -- I want to clear up what I said.

First, when Dotty woke up and was saying, Bobby, Bobby, Lets get the hell out of here. She was not "yelling". She was actually saying those words in a clear strong voice.

Dotty was not really anxious. She just wanted to go. She was "more there", not "less there".

I am pointing this out because I know that many of you, including me, have heard an Alzheimer's patient say "I want to go home" in an anxious voice.

Years ago before "WE" got our act together, Dotty would say in a low, almost listless voice, with the "not there" look on her face -- I want to go home. This would happen when we were away from home. So, she actually meant home to where we now live.

The episode I described from Sunday morning was very different. I did a bad job of describing that episode in the previous article.

When I talked to Dotty at that time, she quickly realized that she was home. I do believe the fact that Harvey the parrot was right there did make a difference.

______________________________

This morning when Dotty work up, she went into the bathroom, peed, brushed her teeth, and combed her hair. I peeked in so I knew what she was doing. I actually thought to myself, hmm, she has some real awareness this morning. Lets see what happens.

As soon as Dotty saw me, she proceeded to tell me about this dream she had. She was telling me she was all over Florida, walking and walking, and couldn't get home. In her dream she was trying to get home. I assume that since she told me she was in Florida and she was trying to get home, she meant here.

I did talk to her about it. Then I decided to see if I could get some of it on a podcast. I did get a slightly watered down version of the same story.

In the podcast below, Dotty discusses her dream. Says she was scared. Wonders if she is going to hell. And then, chats with Harvey.

Interesting for sure.



If you don't see the podcast -- go here.


Read More on the Alzheimer's Reading Room




The Alzheimer’s Action Plan: The Experts’ Guide to the Best Diag­no­sis and Treat­ment for Mem­ory Prob­lems
 
The 36-Hour Day A Family Guide to Caring for People with Alzheimer Disease


Original content Bob DeMarco, the Alzheimer's Reading Room

No comments:

Post a Comment